Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 AM
Louis

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
The backing material (underside) should be 100% cotton. You can find wide material made for backing a quilt or muslin. That way the back is one piece. The batting could be wool or cotton. If you have a JoAnn's nearby, I'm sure they can point you to the batting and the materials for your backing.

You mom is a very lucky woman. She raised a very good son.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?
I am located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I have a Joann Fabrics in town that I plan on visiting today after I get off work. My mother’s favorite color is brown, so I was thinking I could cut up some squares in that color. Do blue and brown go together?

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
So what you need is to finish the top, then measure it. Your backing will need to be 2-3 inches bigger than the top all the way around, and your batting should be as well, it will draw up some when you quilt it so you need a little room to play there.

Stitch in the ditch is basically a straight stitch along the seam lines. Most battings require between 3-10inches between quilting lines (in all directions) in order to prevent the batting from shifting (like you get with old cheap comforters [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Edmond\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image001.png[/IMG] ) With cotton battings with scrim, I believe most of them are 8ins between quilting lines. Which will work nicely.

Now, if I was doing this, I would chose the 2nd top you posted, and do pinwheels, one fabric being one I like, another one that my mom would like. Then I would add a 3in border to finish it off.

For the quilting, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from every seam line. In the center part where your gran's piece is, it will look almost like a plaid. the pinwheels, I would use the serpentine stitch (the one that looks like an S) and stitch 1/4in away from the seams, this will give a little movement to those blocks.

Good Luck, and please come back and show us what it looks like completed [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Edmond\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image002.png[/IMG]
I plan on utilizing the second one because it is in much better shape than the first one and would require less maintenance. I like the idea of doing straight stiches along all the seams through the entire quilt. Would my little sewing machine I posted in a previous post be strong enough for a task like this?

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
My first thought was to preserve them by framing them, especially since you said the fabrics are thin. Since they've already been used, with more use they may start to tear and I don't think you want them ruined. They are kind of large for framing, though---you need to have a large wall space for that. The first one wouldn't look right cut in half, but the second one could actually be cut in half and each half framed, so two different people could each have one for a momento. I really like ManiacQuilter's idea of including photos, maybe some of Grandma's jewelry, a lacy handkerchief that was hers, etc. inside with the quilt pieces.
I really appreciate the feedback and ideas. At this time, my Mother lives in a very small apartment since she used to live and take care of her mother in her mother’s home. The apartment is very small and she wouldn’t have much room to display a frame.
I was hoping that a lap throw might serve a useful purpose, while almost doubling as a display item if it was thrown in front of the fireplace or over the top of a couch. We enjoy decorative items in my family, however utility has always come first even with heirloom items

Originally Posted by klaws View Post
What a great idea. Please post a picture when it is complete.
Oh trust me! I can assure everyone on this board I will keep everyone in the loop regarding this project, and with picture updates!

Thanks again all for the support!

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
What a lovely idea your Mum will be delighted I'm sure. Lots of useful suggestions in previous posts, one thing I noticed is that the existing borders look a bit 'wavy' and adding more blocks or borders may cause you problems, I would be tempted to take them off and redo them - of course it could be the picture makes them look wavy!!!
Don't forget to let us see the end result.
I think it may appear wavy because they were still a little wet from handwashing when I laid them on the ground and took pictures of them. I may be wrong, however, and I will make sure I address this when I get to adding my block border work.
Truly sad thing is, I have the very last quilt top my great-grandmother made before she past. It’s the biggest one she has ever made, with many 1x1 inch and 1x2 inch blocks. The blocks are indeed wavy on that quilt because her cancer treatment was affecting her so much. It is my hope to finish my grandmother’s work on this top and put a backing on it, so it may be used by my fiancé and I, or to be hung up in our living room.