Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

I finished another block - L2... and I'm going to start on L-9 tonight.
For L-2 ....after 'unsewing' a few times I decided to give in and paper piece the center outer border pieces of the on-point section. [you have to look at it to know what I mean!] and if you are new to this board you will soon discover that I don't really like to pull out dozens of paper pieces from the backs of these tiny blocks so where there is a way to easily make a block without paper piecing I will do so. Not to say I hate paper piecing - I think it has its place and sometimes is the best way but when you have easy measurements, I simply measure - cut - sew.
For example, when you visit thatquilt.com and other blogs this entire block is PP [paper-pieced]. The center square finishes 1" as do the other 4 print squares, so why PP?? Simply cut these carefully at 1 1/2" squares and sew them where they belong. For the corner blocks of this section you will see I eliminated that extra triangle - Jane doesn't have it there so why should I add it and make the block more difficult than it is? I cut 4 background squares 1 3/4" and cut them each diagonally once. In between these two resulting triangles, I carefully attached a print strip that I cut slightly less than 7/8" wide. After making the nine-patch center it was time to add the border strips. First I thought I would mimic the way I did the corner blocks for the center - what a MESS!! I won't go into it any further - just dont try it. I suggest you PP that outer sashing before the setting triangles and you will be fine. I noticed the lower right triangles around that middle piece is still off!...oh well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455740[/ATTACH]

I will be making L-9 a little differently. I noticed the center of the original is a rectangle, not a square. Being a bit of a purist [not totally at this point ] I tried to draft it first and then thought of another plan which you could conceivably do with about every block if you wanted to. The picture of this block measures 1 3/4" in the book [not all block pictures are the same size - so be forewarned to measure before you do this to all] If you copy the photo of the original L-9 block in the book at 258% you end up with a 4 1/2" block!! I will carefully cut it up and walla! have templates [ATTACH=CONFIG]455741[/ATTACH] hopefully I will have the finished block to show you soon.
happy sewing!
Gus
Attached Thumbnails djl2.jpg   djl9.jpg