View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Wild8580

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
Question: Are you cutting out all parts of a shirt? Or do you just use the back and two front parts? As the shirts are used and gently worn, do you do anything special for the fabric to have similar texture, etc. Starched, interfacing, etc.
When I cut up the shirts, I try to salvage all useable parts. I cut the cuffs off at the seam lines and usually can get a 2 inch strip from them. If they are worn or have iron in fusible I throw away. The yokes are usually large chunks and I save these. After I cut, I iron and starch. I am using all different weights in this project. Some are wovens, some of truly have the feel of homespuns, some are a light weight denim; all are 100% cotton. For this project, i used the 2 fronts and 1 sleeve to get the quantity of strips I needed. From each shirt, I still have the back and one sleeve. I have a tub full of scraps from cutting in different shapes that I will cut into useable pieces before putting away. Every project generates more scraps whether using shirts or fabric. I guess that's why love scrap quilts.