View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM
nhweaver

Default Paper Piecing Project Started!!

On my "to do" project list is to do something new this year, and I started a large paper piecing project Antique Kaleidoscope from Fons and Porter (free pattern). It came as a teaser in a flyer for their magazine purchase, and said " Illustrated Step by step instructions. I printed it out, and sat down to read - well I will let you decide on the instructions

http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...pe_Pattern.pdf

I am glad I did not purchase a subscription if this is a sample of their instructions - . But I loved the picture. I printed out a set of 48 (4 per page), just to see if I would like it.

What a challenge, I watched u tube videos, and then I tackled the first set. Thank goodness I took a class on paper piecing, (tiny tiny pieces and I hated it) and after multiple visits with my seam ripper I actually completed 48 sets.

I think I am addicted. I love doing them! I have to over 400 sets, and I am using my leftover civil war scraps - this will be my first scrappy quilt using all leftovers, and it is so much fun. I would be quilting right now instead of being on QB, but I have to print out more pattern pieces and need a black cartridge for my printer. I have put 4 per page, and am using cheap printer paper (paper piecing paper jammed in the printer). No problem with sewing with this paper on my machine. Is there anything wrong with using printer paper? I read that my cutting wheel will dull quicker, do I have to change my sewing machine needle frequently?
Does anyone ever do hand piecing with paper piecing?

Last edited by nhweaver; 01-14-2014 at 05:13 PM.