Thread: Funeral quilt
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
drivingmsginger

Default Ribbon pillows

My great aunt made woven pillows out of the funeral ribbon. As a child I can remember her giving one to my Mom. I thought they were kind of weird, but she always made them for people. She was truly the embodiment of reuse, repurpose. My sister, Mom, and I all have hand pieced quilt tops made of our old play clothes. Someday I will quilt them.http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...den-gate-1.jpg

QUOTE=Prissnboot;6523025]Hi, I went to the National Museum of Funeral History in Houston yesterday - something I've always wanted to do, and what an interesting thing to do for a second date as well!

Anyway, imagine my surprise to see a quilt there, of all things, and I thought people here may find it interesting.

This is what the information posted next to it said:

"This mourning quilt was made in the 1920s from the different color floral ribbons attached to the flower baskets, which were sent by family and friends of the deceased to the funeral service.

"The funeral director would remove the floral ribbons from the flower baskets after the funeral service and give them to the family. Usually the family members of the deceased would sew the floral ribbons together and a fabric backing was added.

"The mourning floral ribbon quilt served two purposes, to keep the family members warm at home and also a rememberance of the deceased.

"There are very few floral ribbons mourning quilts in existance today, because of the deterioration of the ribbon fabric over the years."[/QUOTE]