Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
My friend was always making receiving blankets. After pre-washing the flannel, I think she sewed the 36"x44" pieces together and turned them inside out. She would do some type of decorative stitch along the inside of the edge.
This is the most loved size for receiving blankets. My step-son-in-law got one of these for his first-born, and then he started making them himself. He had a stack of them in his closet for when his friends had babies. Once, his mother, his mother-in-law, and his step-mother-in-law (me) were all working with him making about six of these.

Then I started making them. My nieces raved about them. Said they were just the right size and thickness. And they are so simple. Just buy a yard each of two coordinating fabrics, sew all around them RST leaving an opening for turning. Turn and sew the opening closed any way you wish. I didn't even top-stitch the edges of most of the first ones I made. I've made dozens.

A few years ago, I started buying a little more of one fabric and made small pillows, just to have it look more like a "set" for a gift. The pillows are used to prop up baby if you wish, and later baby can use it for his dolly. (Yes, boys like dolls, too.)