View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 AM
gigigray032447

We are small so we don't have speakers. We do meet at a church and the space is free. Our dues pay for batting and muslin for the comfort quilts we produce. Three times a year we meet at the church and sew. Sometimes we all make the same quilt pattern for the cancer patients and sometimes we work on our on projects. A few times a year we have a member demonstrate a technique that works particularly well or that the members are just interested in hearing about. At our next meeting members will bring their favorite tool and explain why they like it. (I will take my Kai scissors). We are loosely organized but have a president and a treasurer. Others are responsible for getting the quilts to the local cancer center. One orders the batting and muslin. One sets up the tables, extension cords and irons for the retreats. Others heat up the food and clean up after (we all contribute during the retreats and bring supper on Friday night, breakfast and lunch on Saturday). We have a guild member who is a member of the church and she coordinates our meetings and retreats with the church calendar to make sure there is no conflict. Some of our members go to church there but a lot do not. Our mission is comfort quilts so we are a little different than most of the guilds in the area and that narrows our focus which is why we don't have formalized programs. We do have a couple of sources for free fabric so we don't have to buy so much. You would also be amazed at the amount of fabric that is donated by area quilters. We keep I touch by email and meet the third Monday of every month.