View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Lady Diana

DO NOT SHIP YOUR MACHINE VIA UPS....Probably anyone else, unless you have the original factory box and packing that it came in. Even then, you are taking a chance. Ask me how I know. A lady had UPS pack the Janome 10000 she shipped to me. She insured it. Thank goodness. The box was crushed, it was wide open on one side, the feet were everywhere, no telling how many are still in the UPS conveyor system. Cracked the hard case. When I filed a claim the agent said, no sewing machine is worth that kind of money....What? I asked him how he would like it if his laptop was dropped from the cargo hole to the tarmack. I told him my machine was a computerized machine...he got quiet.
The next machine I had shipped to me was in a Janome original shipping box, then wrapped again. Something sharp pieced the top of the box and cracked the hard case and the top of the machine. That claim got me to a supervisor in a processing facility, who actually told me that NO MATTER IF YOU PUT THIS END UP, OR FRAGILE ON THE OUTSIDE YOUR PACKAGES GO END OVER END ON NUMEROUS CONVEYORS...ABOUT THE ONLY TIME WE PAY SOME ATTENTION IS WHEN WE SEE THE WORD GLASS ON THE OUTSIDE! My dealer now puts glass on the outside of all their boxes. To your issue. Take exact measurements of your machine in a bag, call Southwest, get a name of the person you talk to, ask them is you pay the $12.50 and board early, will this size bag fit in under the seat or overhead. Tell them you prefer not to ship nor do you want it in the cargo. Rather than using the machine case, get a small luggage roller bag or large backpack with rollers that you know will pass the measurement test. I asked a man to help put mine in a bin,by itself. I waited for everyone to start leaving the plan before I got my machine. and Yes, this will be counted as your carry on. So put soft items in the bag around your machine. Wear a criss cross purse under your jacket for other "stuff". Calling ahead is a good idea. Good Luck and Happy sewing.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 02-08-2014 at 08:34 AM.