Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 AM
lclang

I am sorry that so many US quilt stores are going out of business because they cannot make enough to justify staying open. However I have to look out for my budget too. Therefore I will not pay quilt store prices for fabric because I have a large stash that I use as much as possible, only purchasing what I really NEED to go with what I have. I have a friend who does not use her scraps so she gives them to me. I pick up "freebies" at our local quilt guild meetings and I watch garage sales and thrift stores for good useable fabrics. We really don't have to pay outrageous prices for fabric. It is available to us for much less. When we decide we are no longer going to pay such prices, shops will go out of business but the price of fabric will have to come down. Even Walmart prices have gone up on fabrics. it's the old law of supply and demand. My daughter called yesterday and said their local quilt shop is closing and another about 140 miles away is closing. One 50 miles away is for sale and has been for several years. I simply can't afford to support them.