Thread: Scrappy quilts
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I love my scrappy quilts. I use random colors that are quickly pulled out of a basket. But I also use a solid neutral to help hold it together.
I agree. But there are all sorts of scrappies. And if you have bags of scraps, why can't scrappies be only in a certain color palette, or all different colors? Let's say I have 3 trash bags of scraps. I can go through them and pull out all the reds and blues and make a red and blue scrappy. Put the reds in one corner of a 4 patch and the blues in the other and make a nice scrappy design. Bonnie Hunter does this all the time. They are definitely scrappy.

But your definition of scrappy may definitely be different from mine. I've seen some scrappies that definitely look like a very well planned quilt--and not very scrappy at all. But since each person is the one defining--maybe to them it is. Maybe they are used to a two color quilt, so using 12 in one quilt makes it scrappy. Or maybe they are using their leftovers and even though to me, it doesn't look like a "scrap quilt", it actually is.