View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
mpspeedy2

Several years ago I purchased an unfinished rolling kitchen island from either Lowes or another such store. I then purchased a piece of plywood the same size as the top of the island. That I covered with batting and then that silver ironing board cover that comes by the yard. I stapled the whole thing together and set it on top of the island. This gives me a large pressing surface and just by laying a large cutting mat on to of it I have a cutting surface also. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month and usually make them 1 1/2 yard by the width of a childish print fabric. Cut a width of flannel to use for backing and then layer with batting and safety pin baste. I even marked the edge of the board surface for the exact size I usually use so that all I have to do is lay down the fabric, notch it for tearing where I have it marked on the ironing surface and rip away. I usually make those envelope style and birth them after serging three sides. I then pin baste them again and machine quilt about 4" apart over all finishing with a self border by stitching about a half inch inside of the edge all the way around. The island has a drawer the length of the top under the top where I can store stuff and a shelf at the bottom for more storage. I don't remember but the whole thing I am sure cost me less than $100 and I was able to assemble it myself. I stapled the ironing top with it's batting to the plywood.