View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Sunflowerzz

Originally Posted by D Dale
Can anyone tell me why the Singer Featherweight machines are so expensive? Any thoughts?
Lots of good reasons listed here. Desirability would be my first reply. With the current economy I got back into sewing and quilting and doing fun crafts with sewing machines. The thing I dislike the most about vintage is the weight. We are a very mobile country now so having a light weight small package vintage machine to tote around is just way cool. Add cute and desirability and uniqueness and you get the FW's.

The cost isn't really a factor for most quilters who pay thousands for their quilting machines. And we know that the FW's are extremely popular in the quilting guilds. A few hundred seems very reasonable. Add to that the pride you get when walking into a quilting class revealing a FW is just the best feeling. It is a feel good machine. I get a completely different feeling of pride of ownership when I lift the bonnet top off my treadle to reveal a 1888 Singer VS2 with most of it's glorious floral decals intact. Also a different feeling of pride and accomplishment from the first two when I show off my Singer Touch and Sew which most people can't sew with but it just purrs for me. Hope all of the replies have helped to answer your question