View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 AM
lwbuchholz

I have asthma too and I can tell you that febreeze has the worst odor and sets me off something awful. It makes it very hard because people think it really does take odors out and it really adds a cover up odor that is awful.
The thrift stores use febreeze a lot and it is hard to shop in those that do that. I have put things full of cigarette smoke outside for as long as I could and that helps and may be worth a try. The other ideas sound good too. I may try the viniger trick to take the febreeze odor out of things.
Lynda

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I would first try Febreeze ing them and putting in a plastic garbage/storage bag for a few days. If you can deal with febreeze, that is. Do this outside, if possible. Leave for a few days. Take them out of the bag outside as well. If current weather in your area permits, leave them outside for a couple of days. This is why, as a smoker myself, I don't do swaps, etc. I know there are plenty of people that the smell is horribly offensive. I ALWAYS advise anyone I am trading/swapping/donating things to that this is the situation in my home and give them the option of not accepting. I always febreeze and put into a ziplock bag anything that I may be sending along with a note as to state of fabric/smell so they can treat/not use accordingly.