View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 AM
KwiltyKahy

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
I had returned to my motel, after listening to a wonderful speaker at the Oshkosh Sew-in, slightly depressed about my quilting compared to her phenomenal work. She has published many books and has won countless awards. My pieces, compared to hers, look amateur and very un-prize worthy. Granted, she has been at it 33 years to my 6, but I don't think I could have produced anything near what she has even if I had been quilting that long.

I turned on my Ipad and immediately found a post from a friend on Facebook. The post was a letter Kurt Vonnegut wrote to high school writing students. The second paragraph moved me instantly and I saw my quilting in a new light. Here is what it said:

" Practice any art, singing, music, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, essays, fiction, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money or fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow."

Beautifully said, don't you think? Yes, I have made mistakes in quilting. But I continue to practice, go to workshops, meet wonderful people, and enjoy buying even more fabrics for my growing stash. What could be better than that?
YES, beautifully said.