Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
KyKaren1949

When I first began quilting, I joined a large quilt guild (175 members) several years ago and had the same experience several others mentioned. It was very cliquish. Several of the members were downright rude to new members, making us feel like we were so beneath them, it wasn't worth their time to even acknowledge our existence. Unfortunately, there were even a few, who sat in the back, that ridiculed the efforts of others when we held show and tell. Sadly, many in this guild were former extension agents and retired home economics teachers. Then, there were others who were extremely friendly and helpful and eventually became good friends. I got to know people best by attending the workshops that were held once a month. By working on a project with others around me, I learned names and got to know the ones who were friendly and helpful to this beginner. Because of the rude treatment by a few, I finally quit that group and found another smaller group (50 members) in a rural community that is much more welcoming and friendlier. I have never felt the arrogance in the smaller group that I did in the large group and am much more comfortable. It does seem that it is up to us as new people to try to reach out to others and establish relationships. I love what Jan in Va's group does to help newbies. I sure needed that help back in the beginning!