Old 04-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Cogito

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Our guild has a mentor program in which every new member is assigned to a volunteered mentor for a year. The mentor helps to orient the new member; introduces them around; takes them to lunch with other members following a meeting; keeps them updated on doings, programs, and participations (BOM, round robins, bees, community quilt workdays, etc.) they may have missed; encourages them to attend the spring and/or winter luncheon; and takes them to the mentor/mentee luncheon in the spring, where the mentors provide the meal and tell all they know about their mentee to the others present.

It's a wonderful program and the guild gets kudos for it all the time.

Jan in VA
wow, wow! That is awesome Jan!. I have attempted to join several over the years and had many of the same issues as described above. A few years ago before I retired AND after being away from quilting for years because of my career I joined a large urban guild...one reason was because they had a "new member" class each month and I thought that would be a great way to meet new comers, etc. Well.....the first 4 meetings we were continually lectured about how important it was to give back to the guild by volunteering for this or that....heck! I barely had time to think about doing anything for myself! So after the 4th meeting I quit going and just chalked up the $25 as a donation.
That was a few years ago. Now I am retired and have more time and joined a small guild and love every minute of it!

I think the mentor model is fabulous!