View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I bought some kits and also fabric that I just liked before I retired. That's what I'm using now. When I use it all up, then I will think about buying and prices. My thinking is that quilting is "hot" industry right now. Like ceramics, beading, card-making, knitting were in the past..all these follow trends. Then when the bubble bursts, prices level out and become more "real." If I need fabric, I'm very selective and buy on sale. No more buying because I like it.
So do you think it has gone up in popularity since the mid-late 80's, or down? I'd say way up. There are a lot of bloggers who recently started blogging and they are young. I think general sewing has fallen into a specialty only category--like costumes, crafts, home decor while very few are sewing clothing.

I hesitate to put quilting in the same category as card making/scrapbooking as there is no way to make an "electronic quilt" whereas there is a way to send cards via email or on line and you can do all the scrapbooking on line and then print out the final copy. However, workign with fiber is just that--working with fibers.

But I could be completely off--after all, we came to Poland in 1994...so I've not been around a lot to see who is or who isn't quilting. But by the numbers of young bloggers, it is hard to believe it is a dying industry or one that is going downhill. I think that there is quite a ways to go (UP) with quilting in the USA. Even more here in Poland.