Thread: Binding
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
Hi can someone help me with my binding dilemma, I want to make my binding 2 inches wide my quilting buddy says that's too narrow and it should be at lease 21/4 inches wide and that's the smallest I should go any help would be appreciated. TIA
My cousin, who has taught quilting for years, prefers to cut her binding 2 1/2", then iron it in half, then sew it on with a 1/4" seam. Normal, for me, up until now. She then double folds the binding, with what would be the outside edge, nestled next to the seam she just sewed on, irons the binding again and then hand sews this much smaller binding, making sure her stitches cover the seam on the back. The binding is super full, very narrow, and she has gotten rave reviews for it when her quilts were being judged. For me...it's too much trouble making sure I am rolling everything under just right to get that small of a binding. FYI.. She likes the 4 layers of fabric on the outside edge, says it will never wear through all 4 of those, and all her quilts are used & washed a lot. She likes Warm & natural or White in her quilts. She hand quilts all her quilts.

Edit: I got to thinking about it and she may cut hers 3". I am going to have to check with her and find out. I decided after my first binding cut at 2 1/2", that her method was over the top for being too hard to make it come out right for a beginner and have never tried it.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-18-2014 at 03:01 AM.