Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 AM
AFQSinc

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I have seen this demonstrated. It would take lots of practice to get nice corners. You also need to keep in mind you are only getting a single layer of fabric on the outside edge of the quilt as opposed to a double layer of fabric with traditional binding.
The binding in the method described above uses a traditionally made binding so you do have a double layer of fabric in the binding. There are quite a few modern quilters that use a method of machine sewing a binding on that is just a single layer of fabric. Basically it is bias tape binding and I personally do not prefer that style. All machine bindings take some practice but it is not difficult.

I have not yet tried this specific method because for the first time ever I do not have a quilt ready to bind! However, I have done machine binding quite a few times and the corners are really not that difficult as long as you go slow and use a stiletto to hold the fold down as you stitch.

I purchased the #71 foot at my LQS and it was #34.99. I live in New York, though, so it might be a little bit less in other parts of the country. I am actually trying to get a quilt finished up just so I can try this method out. First time ever that I can not wait to get to the binding!