Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 PM
DonnaC

I gave the machine a Simple Green bath tonight after using a little bit of auto scratch remover on her imperfections (I had read that tip on another website). She is now amazingly shiny! Yes, there are scratches on her surface but they are not as noticeable now. She also smells quite a bit better after the cleaning and sitting in a window all day yesterday. There is a lingering odor (much, much less than before) so she will need to "sunbathe" again on the windowsill if we get some strong sunlight, although there's none of that in our weather forecast! I did buy the rubber cement and glued in the new oil pad, after cleaning out the drip pan with the Simple Green. I also cut some new felt pads for her (for the spool pin and the bottom where the nut screws onto the drip pan).

As for the case, I still have it sitting open on my basement stairs, and I have to say, the smell has dissipated quite a bit. Not that it's gone completely as of yet, but again, it's much better. I'm going to give it a good cleaning as you all have suggested and see what happens. Right now I've got the bar of Irish Spring in the case but have left it open.

I might just be winning this battle with that smelly machine and case!!