Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 AM
costumegirl

Originally Posted by mtpockets1 View Post
I also use a Trouble Light balanced inside the case and leave it on for days. The end of the light with the cord keeps the lid slightly open leaving space. I make sure nothing is touching the shield as that does get warm or even hot. I read this somewhere a long time ago and has worked very well for me. Supposedly the heat from the light kills whatever is causing the odor. I am very careful in the placement and have never scorched anything. I imagine the low light bulb just keeps a constant warm temperature. I just used it in another Featherweight case and it worked pretty good. For the larger cases it's easier.
Good Luck,
Lisa

I took a short seminar on the history of the 221s, a month ago, and the presenter mentioned using a trouble light or a light bulb with socket screwed on a block of wood - said that the tip came from David McCallum's maintenance book and said that he has used this method successfully.

It was an interesting seminar - he brought about 15 machines from his large collection - showed the slight design differences and changes between the machines and the different models of cases - also brought three of the different card table designs. He gave a lot of info that he gleaned from collecting FWs for almost 40 yrs. - was an enjoyable afternoon and made me want to go out on the hunt to find a few 'special' FWs