View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Sewnoma

I very rarely post on (or read) Facebook, but last year I won a 4th place ribbon at the county fair for one of my quilts and I was really proud of it, so I went ahead & posted about it.

I got a FLOOD of requests & demands, mostly from people who never bothered to talk to me otherwise - some were at least considerate enough to offer to pay me (although all but one of them asked what the family/friend discount was) and some had what I considered to be outrageous requests - some people seemed to think they were doing me a favor by asking for a quilt. "Oh cool! I was going to buy the girls new bed quilts, but now you can make them!", or "Hey, I need 2 baby quilts for 2 different baby showers, how fast can you make them? {followed by a list of specifications as far as colors, type of pattern, etc. and a 2 week deadline, and a comment that they hoped that shipping wouldn't be 'too expensive'}" Uh...wow. Yeah, none of that is going to happen.

I didn't respond to any of the "gimmie" messages at all. Rudeness begets rudeness. Folks offering to pay or politely inquiring if I made quilts to sell were rebuffed as kindly as possible.