Thread: Layout Hint
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM
roguequilter

[QUOTE=cat-on-a-mac;6750823]When I'm doing a scrappy type quilt with blocks that are not all the same ... I lay them out on the floor or bed or design wall, and move everything around until I'm happy. Then I label them with little pieces of masking tape, identifying the rows with letters and the columns with numbers (A1, A2 ... An, B1, B2 ...Bn). Kind of like a spreadsheet.

this is how i did all my quilts until my son got me a ipad a couple years ago. i had used a camera lens for ligh/med/drk balance for years, but had never thought of taking pic to use as a placement reference. no computer screen in my sewing area anyway. i was working on a very very scrappy quilt at time i recieved the ipad...took a pic of block place ment before i took down to wash the blocks (please don't feint ..i do things a little different than other quilters ... ) then set the ipad on table after i had all my blocks of little tiny patches pressed and ready to place back on wall to be joined together. a photo of block placement for any tops you are working on is, to me now, essential. doing a couple of scrappy d9p's later the ipad photos allowed hubs & i to decide which layouts we liked best. there were a couple possibilities for each top. our little grand treasures loved what we decided was "just right". )