Old 06-20-2014, 04:04 PM
quilter2090

If you have a skin problem, unwashed fabric will cause havoc. Ask me I know! This is why everything that I wear or sew with is washed before I use it. Batiks are infamous for bleeding, which is why people on this board who don't prewash, many will prewash batiks. Why did your cousin insist that you not wash your fabric? If she knows batiks, I am surprised she told you not to prewash. Next time you make a quilt, just throw the fabrics in the washer and dryer. That way you know BEFORE you go to all the time and effort to make a quilt, that the fabrics won't run or do any other nasty problem. But if you do have skin problems like I do, prewashing isn't a choice, it's just something that I have to do to use fabric. It really isn't that big of a deal. When you get the fabric home,take it to the laundry room, and throw it in the washer. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to put it in the washing machine,then put it in the dryer and when you take out the fabric, it's ready to be used.Easy.