Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
QuiltE--I'm thinking about not using a white or other light color at all. So, it would only be purples and blues--mostly mediums and darks. One color would be the background (white in most people's versions) and the other would be the design fabric.

I am working on constructing a coloring version of this quilt using graph paper to play around a bit with the colors and I may end up with something closer to the pink and green version or one of the other similar ones where the colors are spread either horizontally or diagonally. If I do this, then I have to figure out a background fabric.
Look around ... I've seen an almost white batik that has smooshes of the mauves and blues in it. It has a nice light colour all over, and nothing predominating. Then work with your batiks ... maybe leaving out the lightest of each, in order to get contrast.

I don't know how the pattern plays out .... do you have parts of all the blocks identified as needing dark/medium/light? Or does it end up being totally scrappy, once you decide which fabrics you are using?

The truth is .. not everything has to have huge contrasts with flashing lights!
Subtlety can work ... and work really well.
Prime example ... that green and pink one you directed us to!

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-22-2014 at 09:08 AM.