View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 12:26 AM
JanetM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
When I service sergers, I know I can always get a quality stitch from a Bernina. But, that's not what everyone wants. Some don't want to learn how to thread their serger. If you thread your serger about 5 times in a row, you should have it, and it's not that big of a deal. I own a Bernina 800 DL, and have never had any problems with it. I run a business from home, sewing 4 layers of Jersey knit, which my old White couldn't do. Then I switch from Jersey knit to fleece, to French terry, to regular cottons, without effort. I occasionally tweak the tensions a bit, or adjust the cutter width. It has a beautiful built-in rolled hem, and differential feed. If you want a workhorse machine, a Bernina is a great way to go.

If you can afford the $3000+ price of the Babylock with air threader, you'd better have a Babylock dealer nearby, because when the air threader goes out, you can't thread it by hand. You'll have to take it to the dealer to have it fixed. We won't touch the threader at the repair shop where I work, because we're not trained on them.
Actually a Babylock can be threaded by hand.