View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM
franc36

My daughter gave me a 1952 Featherweight a little over a year ago. It had been restored to good running condition; but had been a well used machine that came with no case nor anything but the presser foot, one bobbin, and the bobbin case. I bought some presser feet, lots of bobbins, and a new foot controller from Nova Montgomery. I love, love, love that machine! My daughter bought it for me to take to quilting classes; but now I sew on it every day. I do all of my piecing on it using the 1/4" presser foot. When I got the machine, I was very intimidated by servicing it. Until recently, I used a check list and checked off each location as I oiled or greased it. I no longer need the checklist. Being a leftie, I detested threading the needle so each time I serviced the machine I wound 8 bobbins, put in a new needle, and put on a large spool of neutral thread. In the last two weeks, I have started changing thread as needed. I have an excellent book on caring for a Featherweight and have learned so much about the machine from the Quilting Board and from places like Nova Montgomery's Tip of the a Month. My Bernina makes stitches as beautiful as the Featherweight; but sewing on the Featherweight is much more fun.