View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM
jackiequilts4fun

Default Handi Quilter Sweet 16 .... OR .....

I'm baaaack.

Well, ok, I have narrowed down my choices. I posted the other day about long arms. Thanks for all your wonderful replies. Since I was looking at several different machines @ the quilt show, I was slightly overwhelmed.

The good news is that I don't HAVE to do anything ... but I do want to do something.
I have quilted on my regular sewing machine.
I don't like it.
I also do NOT like that I've scratched it up a bit with pin marks & such, too.

I really feel ready to take the plunge & buy something.
I admit, I do like what I see in the BlockRockit, and the $$ is within my range, but the machine itself only has a 1 yr. warranty, and that does cause me to feel a bit of dis-ease.

If I don't go this route, I will buy used (because of the cost).
I can, right now, buy a Husqvarna Mega Quilter (9) for $1000.
Comes with frame, stitch regulator, etc.
Many of you here have said that you love it, others I know around here in my town tell me "no way," that I will be disappointed before I know it.

My other choice, and I can't sit on this, is I've found a Handi Quilter Sweet 16, that I can buy for $3500.
It has 44,000 stitches on it. No stitch regulator.

When I first got involved in quilting I fell in love with the HQ at the quilt shop, because of the large throat area. I've looked for one of these for two years (used). It was only after I was at the quilt show last week that I gave a second look to the mid-arms.

Is the HQ only good for free motion quilting? If so, ok .... that is what I'm thinking that it is good for. Being brand new at this, if it gives me more options than my regular old sewing machine .... GREAT.

Honestly, I'd rather spend $1000 than over $3000 (we are not wealthy people ... this is true sacrifice).
Yet I want to enjoy what I buy also.

Please help me understand the differences in the machines.
Thank you!