View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM
msquilter59

Red face Planning My Own Online Only Quilt Shop

I am planning to start my own online only quilt shop after I sell on a craft website for a while. I would like your advice-please be brutally honest-and any ideas you may have to help me or guide me in my venture. Please read through.....

I have had the idea for the past 10-15 years or so for my own website and now I want to SPECIALIZE in reproduction fabrics and related supplies while also carrying a few other fabrics, notions, gift items, and I do Love the pre-cuts! I will also carry whatever else grabs my eye on the manufacturer's/distributor's websites! I also plan to have a suggestion box. My LQS has never had a great reproduction stock so I don't see that competition being too tough. I have a few ideas for drawing in customers and keeping them happy. I remember being a customer!

I am lucky enough to have a building that housed a previous small quilt shop that is separate from my home to operate out of-complete with cutting counter! I won't have all of the normal overhead that a shop would have but I will have some. I have been looking into the costs of the electric, phone, internet, insurance, etc. I have found someone to build my website who has done other quilt websites but have to wait for now. I do have my state required business license for sole proprietorship, my sales tax license and will soon have my county privelege license. Then I can get started!

Now a little history...my husband and I have always struggled in some way financially. One day a few months ago he made a comment about not having anything he could sell. And that got me to thinking that I DO-my fabric-that has been sitting idle for a while because of one reason or another. I could never realize my dream because I was always working fulltime. But that changed for personal and medical reasons four years ago. And since that time I have been planning my website in my mind. But we don't have the money needed to get me going. With my credit history I can't get a loan. And we don't have family that can help. I have been online searching. Beware! I have looked at some Angel Investor sites but they don't seem to be interested in our craft. So it's going to be a slow go by earning for capital from the craft site and another site. But that's ok because I believe it is worth it. I have looked into the SBA and the way I understand it I don't qualify because I am an online retail business and I am not employing anyone so locally it won't add to employment to boost the economy.

Anyway, that's my plan, my dream. I believe my idea is a good one. I will be doing what I love, trying to support our craft and having fun doing it! And I am blessed with a husband who is supportive. Sew, what do you think?????
Thanks in advance for the advice and the ideas/suggestions.