View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Havplenty

msquilter59 I see a couple of things in your scenario that could be a hiccup: 1) your lack of working capital; 2) you mention using an outside brick & mortar location for your operations which can add significantly to your costs; 3) you mentioned this was to be an online business but you looked LQS as your competition. Your competition as an online business will not be your LQS but other online retailers. Have you researched your online competition?; 4) You will need an finance professional to work with me as you will need to collect sales tax on sales in MS and file monthly or quarterly returns. Do you have such a person in place?; 5) How will you market yourself and your online business? How do you plan for your business to come up in online searches?; 6) What forms of payment do you plan to accept? It costs retailers fees to accept credit cards online and the fee will depend on your sales.

These are just some of the things that come to mind. Have you taken any small business courses at your local junior college? I would recommend this route to anyone considering starting a small business. SBA in your area may also have classes you can take or maybe there is a small business incubator somewhere near you. Give yourself every chance to be successful at this.

There are other ways to sell your repo fabrics first to raise capital to do it on a larger scale later. You can open an Ebay or Etsy store to sell your items. Ebay and Etsy will be the company clearing your payments for you so no need to worry about that. Your items can come up in searches on these sites if you put in the right searchable words. Your only cost here will be your inventory. The rest of the platform is in place. It is just something to consider. You can also sell at local craft shows and venues.

Also, consider reaching out to a local college and ask if one of the business classes can design a business plan for you. It is often free of charge as the class take this on as a class assignment for credit. My former husband had this done for a business he had started some years ago and I had a recent business class where we had to come up with a fictional business to create a business plan for. It may be worth the inquiry.

I do applaud your efforts to start your own business. I have started and ran several small businesses: children's boutique clothing, tax services and Ebay seller. It is possible to realize your dream and you can be successful with adequate preparations and research. Good luck with your venture.

Last edited by Havplenty; 07-19-2014 at 09:52 AM.