View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM
debbieoh

Smile Please need advice for Baby donations

Its sorta a long story so please bear with me. 5 weeks ago I had a anterior repair . I have a wonderful OB/GYN he also did my total in 2013.

I asked him if the maternity ward here could use some baby hats. I explained I use to do alot of donations to Rainbows baby and childrens Hospital but no longer can do them. Well I can BUT I just can't make the drive anymore to Cleveland.

I volunteer 3 days a week as a PCA at our local hospice and have made Quilts for vets coming into the Hospice center.

I had 50 crocheted hats of different sizes for babies and asked if they could use them. he said yes and I had told him I would bring them to my post op visit. Well Friday was that visit. This wonderful dr took me up to the maternity ward to meet the manger and give her the hats.

She was so happy to get them. When i asked if she could use anything else she said we sure can. They get alot of low income patients who don't have much at all and they can use anything . in fact when they get any kind of donations they use them to give to the new moms who they know who really need and would appreciate the items.

Or first here's were i could use some advice. Do you have any favorite websites for say baby hats, booties, blankets,quilts patterns that are free. Crochet patterns I have alot of and since friday I have made 5 sets of baby hat and matching booties. i'm a dast crocheter and have alot of yarn stash.

Thats it i want to use my stash since funds are low right now. Do you think it would be ok to use cotton fabric thats isn't baby fabric? I have some as well as some flannel but lot a whole lot. I do have a good amount of regular fabric.
Do you think it would be ok to use it? Don't plan to make fancy quilts just solid squares. How big do you think they should be? These would mostly be for full term newborns. I always made for premee's so this will be new for me. They do need a few for the tiny little ones but the full term mostly.

Please help me with advice with ideas also of other items you think new moms would like. Since I'm 64 its been awhile since i have any experience in what would be needed.
THANKS everyone!!