Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Overlander

Default Great deal on a Singer 301

A lady came into our shop today with a Singer 301. She didn't want to spend any money on the machine, just wanted to know if I could tell her if it was working or not. I checked the wiring and it was okay, dirty but no gouges or nicks in the cords. Turned the wheel to see if the machine was seized and it wasn't - bonus there! I then lifted the little extension table and looked at the bobbin. Hmmm, it didn't look right, kind of sticking out. I went to release it and it fell out onto my hand. It was the wrong bobbin case. I let her know that the machine wouldn't run without the proper bobbin case and was told it wasn't worth while to her to put any money into it. She has 3 more old machines at home. She said she was going to throw it in the garbage so I offered her $25.00 for it and the case it came in. She was happy and I was happy. I then looked up the cost of a new bobbin case for the machine and realized it takes the same one as my Featherweight. Woo hoo!! Until I can afford to purchase another case at least I can use it. When I got home from work I took this beauty apart and was amazed at how clean it was. There was a bit of rust that came clean with a good oiling and the outside is in pretty good shape. A few rub marks and a few scratches, but all in all I think she will preform well. I need to find my Lube before running her, she was very dry. Here is a pic of my newest baby before I took her apart and cleaned her up.
Attached Thumbnails 20140724_192330.jpg