View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by saraw82 View Post
Oh thanks! I was getting so confused since I haven't seen either of these ones in pictures. Just got out the domestic one to use and realized there is a short in the wire for the foot pedal so now to find out how to fix this problem! I am in love with all my old machines! I also have a lady kenmore in a cabinet!
When I said industrial I meant the feet are, not the machine. I've only seen them on a few domestic machines (always Japanese) but that machine is definitely domestic.

The foot controllers are not complicated, particularly the non-Singer ones which normally have coiled wire providing the required resistance to the AC current (the Singers have a large pile of very thin carbon discs packed into a ceramic case).
The usual problem with wiring is that the wire casing cracks and flakes off over the decades. The way to repair is to simply match the length and gauge of wire and replace. Also, if one has degraded the rest are usually not far behind. The other common problem is that someone has re-wired it. This can happen for many reasons, but idiocy is usually at the top of the list
Seems obvious but when you're fixing wiring remove the plug from the outlet first, and use a digital camera to take pictures of the wiring and position of anything you might want to remember. It's easy to delete them afterwards but they'll save you a lot of time if you need them.