View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 AM
quilt938

Default mixing really old blocks with new

hello I'm still coming across a bunch of ufo's and asking for advice on settings and stuff so I can think on the responses.

I'm 47 and a few years before she passed my mom brought me the deteriorated paper grocery sack of my great grandma's little dutch girl quilt project (this was the 'special times can look through when growing up'. my mom finally started hand quilting cheaters a few years before she passed and had a sewing machine I remember her using when I was really really little so needless to say nothing was done but keep this in a closet all those years. I started quilting/piecing a little before 2001 and quit then started back in 2001 so she decided after I stuck with it 5 or 6 yrs I may as well have these blocks! well it dawned on my 'hey this was supposed to be MY baby quilt - that's why she gave it to you!'

ok so these aren't applique perfectionistic works of art but they're sentimental - I was named for this Great grandma and I'd like to see these finished. I did a couple of blocks that had been started - most I can see the stitching - thought basting stitches at first but think that was her applique- she passed away before I was born so not sure how sick she was at the time.

anyways the dutch girls aren't so much the problem - the muslin she used has darkened on some and is different sizes- there are some cut out dutch girls (I keep calling the sues but she called the dutch girl) I want to use but there is no more muslin from that project - it's like she cut them out but didn't have the background to put them on. There are maybe 8 finished blocks but I dont know if I should buy new muslin and do the other blocks and just mix them all in and buy sashing and backing/binding or what. there's more of a pink fabric and more big scraps. I'll try to get a picture later if I can find space to lay out the blocks (I'm at work now)

but has anyone here ever finished a project that was started over 50 yrs ago? I know this was originally for another baby but turned out to be a boy and he's at least 5 yrs older than me I'm sure - possibly more. for a while I had acouple of the blocks in a picture frame and unfortunately I thinka couple were lost in the move 14 yrs ago (or stolen by person helping me pack - I hate to think that of her but she was interested in a lot of stuff and some I never found after the move) but I have these others. thought about putting muslin under the other muslin when piecing just in case it starts to deteriorate...