View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
quilt938

thank you everyone. I will try to lay them out and get a photo with my ipad and see if I can get wifi to work. I think great grandma was probably using different muslin - they were poor and not likely to go hunting fabric for a quilt I don't think. one block is still at home but the others are with me. I hadn't thought about taking them off their muslin - kinda wanted to keep her stitching. I also haven't tried gently hand washing the blocks either. I should have made better not because I'm pretty sure a couple of the blocks I did myself about 6 yrs ago - I know it was before 2010 for sure - but didnt' know what to do with them so put them aside again. I had thought at the time I'd finish some and add sashing and cornerstones and get my mom to handquilt it but my mom passed up my dad's cancer with brain cancer and was gone before we could even absorb she was sick. I'm thinking I may try handquilting the finished top though I'm not great at it and barely finished the sampler table topper beginner class project that was hand quilted.

as for other family members I'm not going there. well I'm a great-grandchild- this woman had about 7 kids - they were all competitive/jealous except for maybe 1 who was the sweetest great-aunt ever - she passed about a month ago. the youngest gave my mother grief. my 2 female cousins (daughtes of my mom's brothers) might be interested but there aren't enough for 3 quilts and I haven't tried a pillow. I wish I had the ones I think were taken - I had pulled out 2 -4 that were nicer and finished. I don't know if they've even heard of Grandma Susie - I'm the oldest then my brother then 2 other siblings came along from my oldest uncle then 2 from the younger uncle. those 2 didn't know grandpa at all (grandma susie is my mom's father's mother..) and never seemed interested in knowing about him though mymom's brothers of course remember hima nd grandma susie. sometimes it's hard to feel anything for someone you never knew. I only feel a closeness because I know my mother loved this woman and kept her wedding ring(great grandpa divorced her) but that was the only material thing my mother got other than when she had given her this quilt to finish)