View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by Clothfiend
Originally Posted by craftygma47
if we all used them we would use a lot less paper. The disposable diapers get me. People should go back to cloth diapers, towels, napkins.
Think I remember reading somewhere that most of our landfills will eventually be composed of disposable diapers. It would have been a real luxury to have them when my four stairsteps were growing up, but such things weren't available then. However, I do remember there being something very comforting about taking those diapers off the line, folding them, and putting them in a stack next to the crib. Always made me feel good. In the winter, I hung them in the basement, or over the radiators - depending on where we were living.
When my sons were babies 24 years ago, I started out using disposable diapers and soon switched to cloth to save money. I too liked the feeling of folding those diapers and putting them in a stack next to the changing table and felt I was doing a "good thing for our earth". Rinsing them out in the toilet was a bit icky at first, but I quickly got used to it. Breast fed baby diapers clean up much easier too. My sons never had diaper rash. I was a stay at home Mom and this prob. wouldn't work if the baby is sent to a daycare center. I'm sure they expect to use disposable diapers.