Old 08-11-2014, 05:59 AM
margecam52

I see fabrics ranging from 20's through 50's. The stars were probably around WWII. I have a quilt made in the early 50's, & it has a similar fabric in it. The Snow White is probably right around 1937-38...since the movie first came out in 1938. If I had to make an uneducated guess...I'd date the different blocks (reason there is more than one stitcher?) from 1935-1945 or so. Wonderful find!

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I finally saw something in a thrift shop I couldn't pass up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486886[/ATTACH]

I got them home and laid them all out; these are 9 stacks of 5 blocks; each block is 6" square. 45 blocks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486887[/ATTACH]

I've looked at the stitching and I think these were made by more than one person. Some stitches are pretty messy, some are very neatly done.

The fabrics are interesting and I wish I knew how to tell how old they are. Does anybody have any ideas? Either on how old these are, or how I can tell? I'm really curious!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486890[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486891[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486892[/ATTACH]

There isn't any paper or anything inside any of them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486893[/ATTACH]

Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I don't like yoyos in quilts very much but I couldn't pass these up. I'm thinking probably tote bags - add a structural lining to the back to serve as the inside of the tote and cover the outside with clear vinyl. That way I'd actually get to use them but they'd be pretty well protected.