View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Mrs. SewNSew

I am not awesum at tutorials so if you have questions let me know!

I used a scrap of velvet but I am sure you could use other things. I cut a piece 10 1/2 inches long x 5 1/2 wide. Machine stitch with 1/4" seam the two shorter ends right sides together. Your piece is now 5 inches wide and 5 1/2 inches high.

Use thick thread to gather the lower edge 1/4" in. This thread has to be strong because you are going to pull it very very tight! Mine was like an upholstery thread. Once you pull it as tight as possible, knot it and then wrap the ends several times around the nub to be sure it won't leak sawdust. Tie again.

Turn the bag right side out and run a gathering thread around the top but don't cinch it down yet. Stuff to the top with sawdust.

Cinch the top gathering thread down poking the sawdust in to keep it full and get it as tight as you can. Tie it off.

Use some thin colored cord (4' length) and wrap it tightly around the tomato. I went around four times like you would do putting ribbon on a gift. Go vertically, horizontally, diagonally, diagonally and finish with the knot on top. It's best to have a longer and a shorter end when you are done wrapping. Tie tightly but don't clip off the ends-this is used for the loop.

Cut a felt piece to be your leaves for the top. Thread a needle with your leftover length of cord and bring it up through the felt piece. I went right back down through the same hole to make the loop and tied off under the felt close to the tomato. *be careful not to knock the felt piece off when you are doing the knot.

Lastly, use fabric glue to attach the leaves to the tomato top. You don't need to go all the way to the tips of the leaves but get the top secured well so it covers the knots and gathers. *Don't poke at it too much before it dries or the fabric glue comes through. :P

Here's some pics I took as I went. I hope they help show what I am trying to explain.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0373-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0377-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0379-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0423-640-x-426-.jpg