View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I don't think you will find a bernina in your price range
I have always in the past loved my Bernina machines, until I bought the upscale 830 computerized machine...for several thousand dollar. My advise is don't do what I did. The new 830 is a temperamental diva. I traded in my Bernina 440 for it and I wish I had it back. You might find one used as they are no longer manufacturing that model. They are very easy to sew on and is quite reliable. It is also an embroidery machine. Right now I am doing most of my piecing on a Brother Inovis QC1000 [$3000, new and just of the shelf, I you go for a discontinued floor demo you can get it for about half that} and find it quite reliable if it has some design quirks that can be cumbersome. However once I got used to these, thing have gone quite smoothly. I have been thinking that I should trade in the 830 for a dream weaver. Right now I am only using the 830 for quilting....sad use of such an upscale machine. What ever you do, used or new, fancy or not buy from a reputable dealer that is not too far away from you. Having to make a all day trip over and back just to get to a tech just adds to the cost and frustration of a machine. Good luck with what ever machine you buy. Bring some of your own fabric to piece and a small quilt sandwich to practice the free motion quilting on. Ask about extra feet, which are included and which are not. Ask about a walking foot if the machine does not have dual feed. Take your time, no reputable dealer will balk at how long or how intensive your trial of a potentially big purchase. Remember it is just like buying new car, take your time and don't be afraid to haggle if you must.