Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Bree123

I can't speak to the price on the machine, but based on the other stuff she lists, apparently costing $700, I wouldn't do it. What am I going to do with 2 ironing boards & 3 irons? I'm a quilter, not a knitter. I made my own large design board for about $25 with a piece of particle board from Home Depot & clearance fabrics from Joann. You can buy rolls of batting from Joann.com with a 50% off coupon most weeks of the year for about $200 per 40 yards x 90"W (less for smaller sizes). The other notions are not terribly expensive, so that leaves the fabric. I agree that buying new fabric at a quilt shop adds up. The only thing I would caution is to spend time going through the fabrics. I've never bought used fabric, but I've seen what other people bring home in those mystery boxes. Sometimes it is the most beautiful, pristine, 100% quilter's cotton made by some fancy designer that the person bought at a quilt shop and who knows why they gave up quilting. Much more often, though, it is a box of mostly duds with a few gems hidden in their midst. They might have poly-cotton blends, fabrics the seller herself bought at Goodwill, smoky fabrics, mildewed fabrics, fabrics covered in pet-hair, cheapy fabrics from Joann/HL... or most often, just fabrics that are old & ugly. There are estate sales pretty regularly where I live & often enough they will have 2-3 boxes of quilting fabrics/supplies so if you're mainly looking for that, I'd encourage you to do a google search for estate sales in your area (& check out the classifieds). Every once in a while you can strike gold with those sales & come home with a $15 box of the most beautiful designer fabrics plus a few other miscellaneous notions. One of my guild members makes a point take time every month to hit up some estate sales that advertise sewing items. It took her 7 months, but 6 weeks ago she brought back a extra large box of fabric that would make any quilter green with envy. She paid $35 for the whole thing.