Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Sewnoma

Default OK, I'm sold. Aurifil...it's been really nice but I have a new love now.

Aurifil has been my favorite piecing thread for the last 2 years (basically ever since I decided to seriously start quilting). I love how thin and un-linty it is. It's been my go-to thread for piecing and for SITD quilting ever since I first tried it.

Then the ladies at my guild told me to try Precensia. "It's just as thin," they said, "but it's twice as strong!"

Strong? I don't have problem with thread strength, I said, just before I started having thread breakage problems. (Hellooo Murphy's Law!) It was a class project for marking quilts, trying to sew through a quilt sandwich with sticky stabilizer on top with the quilting lines on the stabilizer. I couldn't get more than 2 inches without thread breaking.

So I bought a cone, even though it was pretty expensive and I was pretty sure I'd be sticking with Aurifil. But I like to try people's advice because sometimes they're totally right about things.

When it arrived, I pulled out some Aurifil and eyeballed the two threads critically.

Looks nice and thin. That's good. But doesn't beat Aurifil.
Doesn't look fuzzy. Hm, also good. But doesn't beat Aurifil.
Then I did a break test and nearly severed a finger. (OK, slight exaggeration, but I actually did bleed a little) Well OK now, that totally beats Aurifil.

So I spun up a few bobbins and tested it on my class project. Zero breakage. That third ply really does make a difference!!

OK Precensia, you win!! I still have at least a dozen spools of Aurifil that I'll use up (it's still very good thread), but I think from here on out, my new piecing thread purchases will be Precensia. I'm hoping they have a booth at PIQF so I can score some deals!