View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM
manicmike

Default 29K58 AKA Barnacle Bill

I picked this up a month or so back and although it was a lot worse than I'd imagined I bought it anyway (very stupid). Turns out that it's something my dad and I can do together. He's enjoying my addiction too
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490307[/ATTACH]
It came with a stand, but I can't find the picture of that right now. I stripped the paint/japan off but it had been sitting outside and near the ocean for 15 years, so every part was rusted. The handwheel had a lot of rust! After paint removal my dad set to work freeing it all up. It's now very very smooth but not yet finished. I'll buy a set of waterslide decals shortly and she'll be ready to take on the world again.
Here's some machine scantiness (I'd removed nearly all the paint):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490322[/ATTACH]
Since then we've treated the rust and there's some new paint (I'll probably add several more coats to make it like it should be) but the majority of the work was treating the mechanical parts. The manual is available free from Singer, and includes a section "for adjusters and mechanics" which has clear-ish diagrams of how to do just about everything. Very simple machine, and I'm looking forward to testing her out.
Attached Thumbnails pre-stripping.jpg   no_paint.jpg