View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 AM
romanojg

I have 3 but not sure the oldest works anymore. It's a Singer and its been too many yrs since I used it to say much. Back when I bought it, there were no classes and Piece Goods had to oder them if you wanted one. I only did clothes on it. This past yr I bought a Viking Huskylock 21, they only have one newer than this one. It has self adjusting tension, which I love. I have that on my emb machine and have never had to adjust it. Its easy to thread, even though not air threading, which you pay dearly for.

I got such a great price because since the store mainly did quilting they didn't have a reason to have the serger which was set up for demo's. They just got a new store and limited room. I only paid around 400 for it so I'm passing that onto the next buyer because I don't need to make a profit. This machine new sells for over 1000. Its never been registered so the warranty should go with the machine. I figured that will the price and the great machine and the warranty I could sell it easy which is why went a head and bought a different one after attending a two day serger event. I had no plans on buying a new one when I signed up, just wanted some additional traing for my Viking. Dumb thinking.

That is the Brother Ovation, it has it all. I use it for the normal clothes, I just made a table runner, all on the serger including decorative stitching and tassels. I take classes and both teachers do almost if not all of each project on the serger since that is what they are teaching. Nancy Z has a book and there are lots of tutorials on making quilts with sergers so yes it can be done. The best thing about serging a quilt, you never have to fill a bobbin.

I love both machines and if you Google them you'll see they both have great reviews. Since I don't travel or have a second home somewhere I'm going to sell my Viking for what I paid for it. I can't justify having two especially when I only have space for one and I paid alot more for the Brother and it does somethings like the wave stitch that I love. If you aren't sure you'll like a serger then I wouldn't spend a super lot on one but do recommend getting the most for what you can afford. I would also check around for classes. Here we have Viking and Brother sellers and our Brother dealer offers classes different times a week that fit into my schedule. Another reason to keep my Brother.