View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
When others gift me with their don't wants because I sew, cook, etc. I thank them and then the items go right to the trash or to the Salvation Army donation box. I don't keep them. My ex sister in law was always giving me stuff that she did not want but wanted to be kept in the family. Her thoughts were I would store it. She brought over two big boxes of her aunt's china. She didn't want it or have room for it so it was mine. About a year later she mentioned that I had the china and would probably let a cousin who was moving into a new apartment have it. I said oh DH said it was ugly so I sold it to an antique shop and bought the living room rug I wanted. LOLOLOLOL actually I donated it to Salvation Army.

Cogito:

All I can say is....I am appalled. Please if you don't want things given to you then say so upfront. It is the epitome of rudeness! I am a very sentimental person. I could not imagine sharing a family treasure with someone who would immediately turn around and trash it. Then you lied about it and think its funny? I would much rather the person be up front and honest with me and tell me they have no desire for it and then I could find someone who did. I just don't get it!

I tend to agree with part of cogito's comment -

if one does not want something (especially if it's something "good") - I would much rather have the person say "I don't want/need it - it would be better if you gave it to someone that would appreciate it- but thank you for thinking of me" than to take it and trash/discard/sell whatever.