View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Jratcliff

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
That is sticker shock! Hope the prices settle down soon. I haven't purchased fabric for so long, but just a couple of days ago I did buy a kit that I've been looking at for over a year -- it was 50% off -- it must have been meant to be!
I just returned from a trip to Bali which was absolutely incredible. I went to the factory where the big batik companies have their fabrics made, you know the one's we pay about $18/yd. It was a real eye opener. The working conditions are deplorable, and the workers work at least 12 hours a day (day light hours). They get a cot to sleep on which were above the dye vats, and meals.
The finished yardages go to a warehouse to be packaged for shipping. While I only paid $2.30/yd there, my guess is the big companies pay much less. Then the quilt shops buy from those companies, and then us from the shops. All along the way there are markups so everyone can make a profit. And then there is shipping at every point.
I am not trying to defend anyone and hate to pay the markup at every juncture, but I do understand how it works. If I had a quilt shop, I'd have to pay the price and do the markups as well.
Goodwill is a great place to look for fabrics. Not always what I want but occasionally I make a great find, and the money is going to a good cause.