Thread: Lighting Tip :)
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Thank you.. Heaven knows the so called "new lighting bulbs" aren't worth a darn for light. Takes twice as many to get the same light. I just got more lamps.

I'm still trying to figure out how mercury in the lightbulbs is "GREEN". They got away from that because it was a health hazard and caused issues with ground water. AND not to mention the disposal problems. Let's face it most folks are not going to make a special effort to take them to the hazardous disposal site..
According to the website I mentioned earlier in this thread, the amount of mercury in flourescents is small. They can be recycled at places such as Home Depot. Although incandescents do not contain mercury, their need for 4 times as much energy for a similar amount of light means that they send considerably more mercury into the atmosphere by means of coal-burning power plants.

Regarding needing twice as many lamps to get the same amount of light, that issue is resolved by the original tip that was posted. You might want to go back to the beginning of this thread and check out that first post. I found it very "illuminating" (pun intended, ).