View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 02:53 PM
joe'smom

You shouldn't feel ridiculous about how you reacted; I think it's understandable. Unfortunately, it's a sure road to grief, to spend time wishing you had the gifts and talents that others have, rather than celebrating the ones you have. However, there are lots of excellent books on design theory, that will give you some tools to exercise your creative muscle, if you are wanting to develop your creative side in relation to designing quilts.

Not everyone is equally creative. Consider something like a play. Not everyone can be a playwright, but there are also actors, stage designers, directors, etc., who bring the play to life so that others can experience it. I'm fairly certain I will never design a quilt to rival some of the amazing ones I've seen; heck, I may never design one at all. So far in my brief quilting career, I've been using other people's patterns, and exercising my creativity in choosing what fabrics to use in bringing them to life. But I still enjoy exercising my creativity in this way. Celebrate yourself!

Last edited by joe'smom; 09-21-2014 at 02:55 PM.