View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Letty

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Tell me what you think about this. I've been thinking about doing a Kaffe Fassett-style brightly coloured quilt. I haven't finalised a design yet but have been busy cutting out squares in lots of possible fabrics. This afternoon I was showing my very creative sister the squares and my fairly simple ideas as to what I might do. She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting. Instead of feeling happy and inspired, ever since I've just wanted to cry because it brought it home that I simply don't have that extra creative insight that comes so easily to her. What do you do if you desperately want to have original creativity - but it's just not there? I'm a workaday quilter who can turn out a competent quilt if I follow a pattern and it's not too difficult, but no more than that. I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there.
My excitement about my quilt has gone. If I use my sister's idea, it won't feel like my original idea any more, and if I dont, i'll know it could have been better. I feel ridiculous for reacting so strongly, but also very miserable.
her
Please don't feel miserable,you chose the fabric, the rest is down to YOU, not the idea of what she would like ! Go with Your ideas,I always told my class whatever they did with design and fabric,if they went with their imagination then it would be unique,it didn't matter if others were not of the same opinion You will never be content with what you make otherwise.Love Letty