View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Daylesewblessed

I have seen a lot of this fabric over the years. Remember the Afro style clothing in the 70's? Some of the Dutch wax prints were made with a design where you cut the hole for the neck and finished the edge to make a caftan type garment.

Our mission team from church goes to Bufuula, Africa once/year and usually brings back some of the 5 meter pieces of Dutch wax cloth, which is purchased in one of the larger cities. A friend and I have used the fabric to make items for our local mission fundraiser. The first piece we got was made into a quilt -- no fading, no shrinkage. The next year we got 2 sets of yardage. Both bled quite a bit, and one of them would not respond to "Retayne" successfully. We made some pillowcases from the yardage that didn't feel coarse and hotpads from the rest. Last year we got an unusual border print - no bleeding. The print was so unusual that the only thing we could think of to make from it was bedrunners. They turned out beautiful.

I see Dutch wax cloth at estate sales from time to time and enjoy the patterns. One unusual thing about some of the pieces we have gotten that were actually purchased in Africa is that some of them have large stickers (about 5" x 5") that give a company in China as the marketer. Who knows the route that fabric takes?? The stickers are almost impossible to get off the fabric.

I can just say that I would highly recommend pre-washing this fabric, and I wish I could personally judge the "hand" of it before acquiring it.