Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Door quilts are a great idea! They will have to come after the lap quilts, though. I don't know the puss in a corner block - will look it up!
I am getting ready to make a lap quilt for my cousin and when I make a quilt to give to a woman, I generally make a sampler quilt - the name of the quilt could be a story, like "Lady of the Lake" block - could be a remembrance of the trips to the lake - "Cross and Crown" could be religious, "Mother's Dream" could be her family, or "Contrary Wife" could be her when she would get upset at something. Then write a story about her/him and how you feel the block has something that she could relate to. I made one for my mother and she loved it. I am now making one for my cousin - I get my patterns from Quilter's Cache - 12" blocks - I use three across - five down - it comes out to 52x80 and fits on the beds that are at the homes (my mom's did)! If there is a center square in the block, you might put in something like "What does this remind you of?" type of fabric or a picture of the family or something that means something to her. I hope this might help you.

Edie

PS - I love the door quilt idea!